It seems so simple: We cut a finger or bruise a knee, and a week or so later we’re all better. You snip a small branch of basil leaves to make pesto, and before you know it there is another branch of basil leaves sprouting from the cut. If plants and animals can heal and thrive, why not other organic material, like polymers used to make coatings?
Tag Archives: metal coating
How Prepainted Metal Can Make Building Interiors Shine
We’ve seen the beauty and innovation prepainted metal has brought to countless exterior applications. But did you know prepainted metal can be an integral part of a number of interior applications? Here are five ways prepainted metals can spice up the interior of any building:
1. Interior Walls
Prepainted interior wall panels are available in a variety of profiles, including ribbed, insulated (foamed), composite and architectural shallow flat styles. These panels are lightweight and can be installed more quickly than traditional walls. They can also take on dramatic shapes with colors or laminates that create striking design elements.
2. Ceilings Continue reading
Choosing a Resin-Based Coating
When it comes to coatings, the resin, or “binder,” acts as an adhesive that keeps all the elements of a paint formulation together. The resin selected is the backbone of the coating and therefore the primary source for determining the coating’s durability and physical properties. When choosing a resin-based coating, it’s important to know some of their key features.
Fluoropolymer resins are known for non-stick properties and their ability to avoid UV damage. The most well-known best performing resin in this category is Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF). PVDF is at least 70 percent of the binder used in superior performance coatings, while an acrylic resin makes up the other 30 percent. PVDFs are found in coil coatings, where exceptional durability is desired. When compared to other coatings, PVDF resin-based coatings were the only coatings that did not lose their original gloss within 2-5 years.
One of the most common causes of failure for resin-based coatings is the risk of color fading. Continue reading
And the Nobel Prize for Industrial Coatings Goes To…
It’s the 2016 Nobel Prize season, and there’s a prize for:
- Chemistry: Molecular Machines (sounds cool, batteries not included)
- Physics: “…for theoretical discoveries of…” (What on earth is a theoretical discovery? Aren’t there any actual discoveries to award?)
- Physiology: Understanding the mechanism for the degradation of cells.
There is never a Nobel Prize given for Technology. But, if there were, let’s consider some candidates in the area of factory-applied coatings for metal:
- Automotive Coatings—dazzling finishes, robotic painting, with coatings that last a lifetime (10 years, in this case)
- Powder Coatings—0 VOC technology, high-temperature bake, thick films (2-5 mils)
- Aerospace Finishes—must function under demanding applications
- Metal Furniture Coatings—no particular demand placed on the coating, other than wear resistance
- Coil Coatings–an area near and dear to our hearts
And the Nobel Prize for Industrial Coatings goes to Continue reading
Factors Influencing the Long-Term Performance of Prepainted Metal Buildings
Most metal buildings are made with prepainted metal building panels. The coil coating process used to make prepainted metal provides many benefits, including superior bonding of paint to metal, durability, environmental friendliness, etc. As a result of the use of prepainted metal, metal buildings are aesthetically pleasing, durable, long-lasting, and economically-efficient structures.
The long-term performance of metal building panels and metal buildings is influenced by three principal factors:
- Choice of materials
- Environment in which the products are placed
- Variability of processes
Choice of Materials Continue reading