Whatever happened to UV-EB (ultraviolet-electron beam) cured coatings technology? The simple answer is, “Still there. Doing just fine.” For the coil coating industry, the answer is even simpler: Never left the starting block, even though a great deal of effort went into the development of UV-EB coating technology suitable for the coil-coated building products industry. I’ll get to those developments in a bit, but first, a little history.
For most buildings, the exterior is designed to be its most important eye-catching feature. While we’re wired to be extra mindful of the cleanliness and maintenance of the interior of our homes and offices, we sometimes neglect to remember to give the outside of our buildings the proper care. One of the biggest advantages of prepainted metal is its easy maintenance, but there are a few easy steps to make your metal panels shine bright.
Rinse the surface with water.
This sounds like a no-brainer, but this is one of the easiest ways to clean coated metal panels. Dirt and debris built up over time can affect the quality of the panel’s appearance and potentially reduce the lifetime of the coating. Simply rinsing the surface with a garden hose or pressure spray system will clean most buildups on a coating surface, allowing the panels to look brand new.
Clean with soap or water for difficult areas.
It’s the 2016 Nobel Prize season, and there’s a prize for:
- Chemistry: Molecular Machines (sounds cool, batteries not included)
- Physics: “…for theoretical discoveries of…” (What on earth is a theoretical discovery? Aren’t there any actual discoveries to award?)
- Physiology: Understanding the mechanism for the degradation of cells.
There is never a Nobel Prize given for Technology. But, if there were, let’s consider some candidates in the area of factory-applied coatings for metal:
- Automotive Coatings—dazzling finishes, robotic painting, with coatings that last a lifetime (10 years, in this case)
- Powder Coatings—0 VOC technology, high-temperature bake, thick films (2-5 mils)
- Aerospace Finishes—must function under demanding applications
- Metal Furniture Coatings—no particular demand placed on the coating, other than wear resistance
- Coil Coatings–an area near and dear to our hearts
And the Nobel Prize for Industrial Coatings goes to Continue reading