Prepainted metal not only offers an impeccable finish and endless color and design options, but it also offers an abundance of functional properties. Coil coated metal can be made weatherproof, corrosion resistant, UV resistant, antibacterial, and even smog-eating. It’s more than just steel or aluminum coated with paint. It is the result of multiple layers of state-of-the-art coatings chemistry plus an application process that provides durability and unique properties not possible with traditional coating methods. The following are some of the key properties of prepainted metal:
- Color can add excitement and increase consumer demand for products from computers to appliances to building products. Prepainted metal offers an exceptionally broad range of colors. Any color you (or your customers) can dream up is possible with prepainted steel and aluminum coils. Coil coaters can provide stylish options, such as the look of brushed steel, polished copper, woodgrain, fingerprint-proof surfaces, and more…all to enhance consumer appeal.
- Textured surfaces represent a new trend in architectural design. As more color and pattern options become available to the market, architects across the U.S. have been incorporating textured products into their design considerations. While textured paint is often found in roofing applications, the visual and textural innovations of recent years have opened up textured products for a number of different residential, OEM, and commercial applications. Textured paint can be made to resemble countless materials, including asphalt, stone, concrete, barn siding, and other textured surfaces. With the growing number of textures and finishes available, architects can meet client demands for visual depth and eye-catching designs that differentiate them in the market and give their buildings a unique look.
- Antibacterial coatings provide solutions to problems that are difficult to see. Bacteria, mold, mildew, and other fungi are increasing concerns in places like medical facilities, food service, office buildings, and more. Building owners and managers must protect occupants from the health threats posed by these environmental contaminants. Antimicrobial coil coatings are readily available and may be the solution you are seeking.
- Fingerprint-resistant coil coatings offer consumers solutions in demanding applications, particularly home appliances. As a result, fingerprint-resistant coatings and embossing have also grown in popularity. The coil coating industry keeps its finger on the pulse of product design and has developed numerous fingerprint-resistant coatings. Never again will your customers have to wipe away fingerprints on refrigerators or other appliances.
- Solar-reflective coatings for prepainted metal roofing help to reduce consumers’ energy costs and increase their comfort. Using solar-reflective coatings cuts down on heat buildup on metal roofs, trailers, campers, shipping containers, and more. These cool coatings reflect infrared radiation, which is the “heat” that we sense on a sunny day. Prepainted metal roofs are energy efficient, durable, and sustainable. They can be formed and prepainted to simulate common residential roofing materials, such as asphalt shingles, cedar shakes, tile, or even slate. Advancements in coil coating technology now make it possible for prepainted metal roofs to feature many different linear and multidimensional looks to complement other homes in the neighborhood. Homeowners like metal roofs because they are attractive, lightweight, durable, and fire-resistant.
- Anti-graffiti coatings are available to combat eyesores and maintenance headaches for commercial and industrial facilities, transportation companies, and more. In the past, preventing or eliminating graffiti was almost impossible. But now, coil coaters can provide steel and aluminum with anti-graffiti coatings that make tagging structures much more difficult and cleanup much easier. Sometimes cleanup requires nothing more than a garden hose.
- Anti-static prepainted metal coatings are used in today’s high-tech manufacturing facilities where advanced computer technology is being developed and clean rooms are required. That’s because seemingly innocuous particles, such as lint and dust, can produce product failures. A coil coater can alleviate these problems with anti-static coatings that help keep particle buildup to a minimum on HVAC surfaces, manufacturing equipment, and more.
- Prepainted insulated metal panels (IMPs) provide architects the ability to create unique designs with multiple profiles, colors, reveals, and custom modular widths, resulting in aesthetically pleasing design options for horizontal and vertical applications. IMPs are considered the ultimate solution for the architectural, commercial, industrial, cold storage, and residential markets due to their excellent insulating and weatherproofing characteristics. IMPs have a continuous insulating foam core that is formed between two sheets of coated metal to provide resistance to air, moisture, and thermal transfer conditions for increased building envelope performance.
There are also many interior architectural applications for prepainted metal:
- Prepainted interior wall panels offer a large number of profiles, including ribbed, insulated (foamed), composite, and architectural shallow flat styles. These panels are lightweight and can be installed more quickly than traditional walls. They can also take on dramatic shapes with colors or laminates that create striking design elements.
- Ceilings grids are a critical engineering component of a suspended ceiling tile system, routinely found in offices, airports, official buildings, and exhibition halls. These grids are often made with prepainted metal. These ceilings are chosen for their light weight, high heat and sound insulation qualities, durability, and decorative appearance.
- Interior metal doors are a favored option of door manufacturers today because of prepainted metal’s durability, ease of manufacturing, and color and texture options (such as woodgrain). The prepainted metal can outlast other materials, including wood.
- Window frames and casings can be made with prepainted metal. Prepainted metal makes it more economical for manufacturers to provide color variety and eliminates environmental compliance issues related to painting. The coating is bonded so tightly, the metal can endure the sharp bends required to make window parts. Plus, metal frames often outlast wood frames.
- Lighting fixtures manufacturers use prepainted metal to fabricate recessed lighting and fluorescent ceiling fixtures. Highly reflective coatings are applied to light-gauge metal with the coil coating process.
- Cabinetry for industrial and residential use takes advantage of prepainted metal for its combination of great looks and hassle-free maintenance. Decorative coatings, including bold colors, the look of stainless steel, wood patterns, faux patinas, and other options are applied to the metal to provide an attractive appearance. Coatings also provide functional advantages, including corrosion resistance, conductivity, and functionality.
Beautiful, durable, versatile, and even antimicrobial—prepainted metal covers the needs of countless applications where appearance and functionality are critical.